Pak court blocks ‘murder-accused US diplomat’ from exiting countryBy ANI
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
LAHORE - The Lahore High Court (LHC) has directed the government to include US national Raymond Davis, who shot two persons to death at Mazang Chowk in Lahore last Thursday, in the Exit Control List (ECL).
The court said on Tuesday that the accused American official cannot be allowed to leave Pakistan, and that the federal government cannot do anything in this regard.
The LHC passed this order after hearing a petition filed by a Pakistani citizen, who said the accused US national must stand trial in Pakistan and should be blocked from being handed over to the United States, SAMAA TV reported.
LHC Chief Justice Ijaz Chaudhry remarked that as the accused had already appeared before the court, it was the court’s prerogative to decide whether Davis was immune from the crime or not.
The federal government had no authority to grant diplomatic immunity to the American national, he added
Meanwhile, Deputy Attorney General sought more time from the court to submit a response on behalf of the Foreign Office.
The court has put off the hearing till February 17. (ANI)